On 6th November 2022, Egypt’s Arab Republic hosted the COP27(UNFCCC). The events consisted of discussion about critical areas that need to be focused upon, hereon. Also, a talk about the implementation of discussions about climate change will be the prime motive of COP27.
Events on the 7th of November :
1. Heads of different Governments and States attended this implementation-based climate summit
2. United Nations Secretary António Guterres said “We must invest equally in adaptation and resilience. That includes the information that allows us to anticipate storms, heatwaves, floods, and droughts. To that end, I have called for every person on Earth to be protected by early warning systems within five years, with the priority to support the most vulnerable first,
3. UK’s new prime minister Rishi Sunak launched a climate package on the occasion of Glasgow’s legacy at UNFCCC cop27.
4. He announced an investment of about £65.5m for clean energy and green tech innovation with Egypt and Kenya, which will fund scientists and researchers. A similar investment by BEIS in 2019 helped in the creation of hydrogen-based fuels for industrial production, biomass using refrigeration, lithium-ion batteries, etc.
5. The UK confirmed the launch of a climate and new Forests Leaders partnership with an amount of more than £150m for the protection of natural habitats and rainforests, including the Amazon and Congo Basin.
6. As the UK had promised earlier of £11.6 billion for international climate finance, it will continue to do the same.
7. Addressing the existing threat of climate change that is posing across the world ranging from drought in Somalia to floods in Pakistan. Governments commit to providing three times the funds for climate adaptation. The fund varies from £500m to £1.5 billion in 2019 and 2025 respectively.
8. The new group, which will initially comprise 20 countries, will meet twice a year. The agenda of this meeting would be to track the commitments made on land use declaration and landmark forests at Glasgow. Its main aim is to stop and reverse the forest loss until the end of 2030.
9. The Prime Minister of the UK confirms the £65 million funding for the climate, Nature, and People Investment Fund. This fund will support local and indigenous forest communities. Also, it would be used for Treevive, which is working on restoring and conserving tropical forests at a large scale.
The day of events ended on the note that Antonio Guterres launched a 5-year action plan that received an overwhelming response from the UN, technology leaders, and govt.